A couple of times a year I pack my bags with mainly sports clothes, get all the camping stuff and go on an active holiday. Ever since I was a little girl my parents took me to the mountains almost every holiday. We always went to a campside and did many outdoor activities like rock climbing, via ferrata, canyoning, you name it. I’m so grateful that I got this experience from a young age. I can also imagine that going on an active holiday can be a bit confusing and you might not know where to start. So here are 5 tips for when you go on an active holiday.
- Where do you want to stay? Do you want to go camping or stay in a caravan. If you want to go camping; do you rent a tent or do you buy your own? In my opinion staying on a campside is kind of a must when you are on an active holiday. You could also stay in an hotel or apartment, but it takes away the charm of experiencing nature.
- Which activities do you want to be doing while on holiday? Do you want to go hiking or also do other outdoor sports like rock climbing etc. This really depends where you need to go in order to do your preferred activities.
- Which country and area do you want to go? This really depends on how far you want to travel and which activities you want to be doing during your holiday.
- Are you going to travel by yourself or with a group? If you’ve never been on an active holiday you could also choose to go on an organised group holiday. This means that you don’t have to organise anything and just follow the staff.
- Prepare yourself! Whether or not you go by yourself or an organised group holiday you need to prepare yourself. Read about the activities you are going to do and the equipment you might need. Make sure you have the proper clothing and shoes. If you are going camping make sure that you have all the equipment you need. These are all things you can do to prepare yourself, but of course there are many more things you can do.
Make sure you are always prepared when you are going on an active holiday. One more tip from my own experience: Always pack warm clothes even though you’re going to the mountains in the middle of the summer. Mountains can be very cold especially in the evening and night!
I hope you liked reading about the tips and let me know in the comments below if you’ve ever been on an active holiday. And of course I’m very curious what activities you’ve done!